Google Chrome: “Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory” fix.

26 05 2011

Hi all,

I had a problem starting Google Chrome on one of my servers today. It started with a whole bunch of errors, the most pronounced of which was as follows:

Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory.
This means that running multiple instances would start multiple
browser processes rather than opening a new window in the
existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.

Try as I might, I couldn’t sort the problem. I tried deleting the config folder (/home/user/.config/google-chrome), and other standard random chances. The fix, however, was absurdly simple. I happened to use “df -h” during my research, and found that my / partition was completely full. I went into /tmp, found about 4Gb of useless cruft, and promptly deleted it. Problem sorted.

n00b